Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Warning to Those Who Once Had Braces


WEAR. YOUR. RETAINERS.

I had first gotten braces when I was in 6th grade. My social status was already low, so it didn't exactly do anything to make me any more of a...whatever.


I had the braces on until...I think my sophomore year? Maybe freshman year. One or the other. Either way, it was pretty unenjoyable for the most part. Although, for some reason, I like the way the metal glints in dim lighting.

Anyway.

Once the braces were off for good, I was really happy. The only problem from there, of course, was making sure I wore the retainers.

Like many kids in the same boat, I didn't wear them as often as I was supposed to.

Bad idea.

On tuesday, I will be getting braces on my bottom row of teeth AGAIN.

At first, my thought set was something along the lines of:

Why me? How could this happen? It's not fair!

It's very fair. I didn't do what I was supposed to do. And now I have to pay the metallic consequences.

Oh! I wish I had just listened to my orthodontist! I could kick myself a million times....

It's a good thing I had the opportunity to meet people while I didn't have braces. But still, to me, getting braces in college is like having a baby after the age of 50. It's cringe-inducing.

And I already know what to expect, since I've gotten braces before. I'm gonna walk in. Sit in that chair. They're gonna put this plastic thing in my mouth to hold my tongue up. I'll still be able to breathe, sneeze, cough, whatever, but I can't talk. They'll stuff my mouth with cotton rolls. They'll clean my teeth with cold water stuff. At some point they'll coat my teeth with something that tastes sour. They'll stick the individual metal thingys on my teeth. Then they'll start the wiring. The whole process takes about an hour--for just the bottom.

I may have to go alone. My mom needs to work that day. I was hoping my boyfriend might be able to come into the Bronx that day just to be with me for the appointment (and deal with me afterwards). But if he can't go, I'll be all alone.

I'm a big girl now. I'm 18. But still. And I don't have the same fears about it that I had when I was younger. I'm not really afraid of choking or anything. It's just a long, not quite comfortable process. And I'm going to be in pain for awhile afterwards. Like, 3 days. it's not something I want to face alone--however small this whole thing might seem.

So yeah.

4 comments:

  1. What?! Oh no! I'm sorry nicole, my top two teeth have separated a little bit because of my lack of retainer wearing so I definitely know what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bites!!! I hope someone was able to go with you and that you were not in too much pain! I have to say I really enjoy your writing! You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, wordfromthezoo! And Jenae, yes, my story has scared others into wearing their retainers. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey. Glad I could accompany you. I was happy to be there for you. Unfortunately, I still haven't been as diligent as I should in wearing my retainer.

    ReplyDelete