Friday, January 29, 2010

Teachers

It was another day at college. As I walked into class and took my seat, I looked at the expressions of some of those around me. They looked very unexcited.

And I guess who wouldn't be? After all, this is a required core class. It's not like most people even wanted to be here. Or even at school in general. They just woke up, put on a hoodie, and schlepped themselves to class. And now they are here, lifeless forms sitting at desks that remind me of high school. Or even vaguely like--dare I say it--my middle school years.


The professor begins the lecture. The students stare into outer space, mindlessly copying notes off the board, some paying attention, most probably not. And the professor sometimes will pause the lecture to ask a question such as:

"And which country was the first to use gunpowder?"

"...China?" I replied.

It was right.

I guess the other students didn't pay attention in Global during high school.

Now, maybe I'm a bit biased, because I love school. I've loved school since I was a kid. "Eager to learn" one of my teachers had put on my report card. And I am, I guess. I mean, I don't love every class I've ever taken, or every teacher I've ever had. Pre-calc, chem and earth science were some of my "schleppy" classes in high school, meaning I went to class dreading it.

Over all, though, I do like being in school. I don't know what I'll do when I have to actually join the work force. It'll be a big adjustment. Although, I already have some ideas of some in-between jobs I would like to have before my "career." A CVS photo technician (basically you just print pictures and wear a cool lab coat), a movie projector person at a theater, or a pizza girl (yesterday I noticed that I never see girls working at pizzerias).

But anyway, back on topic. Teachers.

I think we as students often forget that our teachers are actual people. They have lives outside of school. They are husbands and wives and mothers and fathers and grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles and brothers and sisters and friends and boyfriends and girlfriends and so on. They're human beings. There's even a chance that they have actual interests, too. Such as reading comic books, or ballroom dancing, or playing tennis. They might even watch the same shows we watch! Like Smallville, or Grey's Anatomy, or even Keeping Up with the Kardashians!

So yeah. Teachers are people, too.

With that in mind, we often get mad if our teacher seems to be in a bad mood, or if the lecture is tedious, or if we have too many notes to copy. But remember, this is an actual class. The teachers are hired to teach. We need to learn. True, some teachers don't have the best personalities. But still, you are here, and so are they, so you might as well make the best of the situation.

Since teachers are real people, they have personal issues. One might have had a fight with her fiance the night before, so she came into class a little cranky. One might have found out their mom has cancer, so the lecture might sound a little stiff and less exuberant. One might have been up all night with their two year old who has the stomach flu, so the next day class is just boring and dead because the teacher has no energy whatsoever.

We need to try to be more considerate of our teachers. One good tip is to try to make eye contact as much as possible when they're talking. I find it helps me pay attention. Another thing to do is to get your head off the desk! I find I have a habit of leaning on my hand, which I guess isn't too bad. But I wouldn't suggest overusing this pose. I've tried keeping my elbow and hand on the desk, so I can "lean" that way. It looks less disrespectful than putting your face in your hand.

So yeah. That's all for now.

-Nicole-

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my history professor a few days ago. He was talking about how he went home and talked to this woman who had no real faith. Her husband died a few years back and she had just given up. She just believed that she was going to heaven, just cause. No real believing or trust in God, she just decided that that's the way it was going to be. At the end of him telling us that, he looked at us and told us that it was his mother.

    It was so weird to me. Because I never imagined that Prof. Snyder could have problems within his life. He still manages to come to class and be...himself...awesome! So yeah I totally understand, teachers have lives outside of school. And we need to take that into account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? 'Cuz I never see any of my teachers outside of school. I always thought they just kind of lived there or something.

    ReplyDelete