Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Smokers and Gamers

Recently, I've been wondering a lot about them smokers.


I see them a lot now. I think I've seen more smokers on my college campus in one week than I've seen in a lifetime.

The funny thing is that I've noticed they all have a similar expression--the "pensive smoker look."

This is the look that's on their face when they slowly blow smoke out of their mouth as they gaze off into the distance.

And since smokers often have to be outside, often alone, sometimes in the cold, I wonder if they do a lot of thinking.

So, what are they thinking? Are they even thinking? Or are they just vegetating?

I wonder the same thing about my guy friends when they play video games. They suddenly become completely encompassed in the game, and nothing but the game. If you want to have a decent conversation with them while they play, you must talk about the game. You can't talk about quantum physics or relationship issues while they're playing. They need their full concentration to succeed.

When I observe them, though, with their glassy eyes staring blankly at the screen, I sometimes wonder...what are they thinking? Are they thinking about the game? Are they thinking about sex? Are they thinking about nothing? Anything?

I don't know if girls are exactly the same way when they play. We're better multitaskers in general, so maybe it's slightly different...dunno.

2 comments:

  1. lol. Usually when I play video games, by myself or even with others, any thought or conversation is about the game. We're trying to figure out how to get to the next level or defeat the enemy before he defeats us. Personally, I would say that it is very rare that we are thinking/talking about much else. As it is with most guys, we don't open up to many boxes at the same time. I can't personally speak for the smokers but I can say that I have observed the same thing as you. I dunno. I'll have to ask someone what they're thinking one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Yes, it does go back to the boxes. Men can't exactly multi-task.

    ReplyDelete