Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Day in the Life of a Miley Cyrus Backup Singer

I saw the Best of Both Worlds Concert movie in theaters in 3D when it came out. And yes, I did notice the back-up singers. Two skinny blonde girls wearing the same outfit with stationary mic stands. Now, I will try to imagine what it's like to be one....


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up at 5:30 this morning. This is the time I usually wake up for my morning workout routine. I do everything--pushups, jumping jacks, squats--but my main focus is on leg lifts and crunches--gotta keep that diaphragm strong because I'll be doing lots of singing.

They chose me a little over a year ago to do the Best of Both Worlds tour with Miley. There was an open call in LA for backup singers, the only requirements being that the girl must "be fit, have personality, and professional vocal training." I've had voice training since I was 7, and ever since then I've dreamt of breaking into the music scene with my own album.

After exercise, I eat a healthy breakfast--usually granola and yogurt. I became a quasi-vegetarian for this tour, simply because meat makes you gain weight and can also slow you down. And when you're working for Disney, slowing down is not permitted.

One of the things I don't like about the backup gig is that you HAVE to do what people tell you. There is no freedom with your performance. You stand where they tell you, you move the way they tell you to, and you dress the way they tell you to. Right before the tour started, my agent took me to get my hair dyed blonde and Japanese straightened (my hair is naturally brown and really wavy.) In the weeks before the tour, I spent more time at the gym and at the tanning salon. No one wants to see a pale backup singer in a gold sleeveless shirt.

I always think it's funny how no one notices the backup singers. Whenever I walk around backstage, people often try to stop and question me. Then I show them my performer's pass and their faces fall. Oops.

Rarely does anyone ask me for my autograph. When they do, I don't always write my real name--especially if the person asking is a creepy man. Lately, I've been using funny names, like "Princess Butterfly" and "Daisy Cowe." What does it matter? No one cares what my name is. They just needed an autograph for the sake of getting one.

In the afternoons, especially during the few months before the tour begins, I set aside some time for vocal training. You're never done with voice training--you need to work to maintain your voice, and you also need to keep pushing for new heights. Usually I use an instructional CD that my voice teacher made. 3 days a week me and the three other backup singers (there is a rotation in case anyone gets sick or worn out from performing) meet up with Miley's vocal coach to practice songs from the concert setlist. We work on choruses, call and response, and harmonies. Afterward, I work on any general things that I need to finish--like homework, for example. While on tour, we have a tutor traveling with us so we can finish our high school education.

About an hour or so after I eat dinner, me and the other backups meet with Miley's choreographer to work on stage presence and basic routines. When you're standing in one spot for the entire concert, there isn't much movement that you can do. However, you also don't want to look (or become) stiff onstage. So we do simple dance moves, and we move side to side and clap. Basically, our job in the beginning of the concert is to get the audience going.

I usually watch shows on the CW at night before I go to bed at 11 or 12. Then I wake up the next morning and do it again. While on tour, I can't take the weekends for myself--because that's when we usually have shows.

One of the cool advantages to being a backup singer is the pay. We also get a little taste of the famous life, without having to worry about being in the spotlight and the tabloids.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah. I've done backup singing before, in various ways. It's difficult when you're used to being a solo performer, but then again, I think people are less critical of those who sing backup.

I do miss singing now, though.

1 comment:

  1. This was very interesting and realistic. I'm not a fan of Miley Cirus at all, but your thoughts were very detailed and thoughtful. I just about believed that you had been up on that stage. Or maybe you interviewed the girl who had been. lol

    ReplyDelete