Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Past 4 Weeks of Senior Year!

Sorry I've been away for so long! Anyway, here is each week:


Week 9 of Senior Year:

This was post midterms week, and there were still plenty of written things to hand in. Nothing exciting to say about this one.

Week 10 of Senior Year:

Hurricane Week! Manhattan College was going to reopen on Wednesday, but after students (and even an alum or two) stormed the gates of MC's facebook page, we convinced the college adminsitration to keep the school closed for at least 1 more day. Then the president (O' Donnell, not Obama) eventually decided to keep MC closed for the remainder of the week.

While at home, my mom had my nonna stay over during the storm because she lives alone. My mom has a stash of papers--bills, pay stubs, receipts, etc.--crowding the corner of our dining room, so Monday was spent going organizing the papers and throwing things away. I did homework.


Thankfully we did not lose power (although we had a few scream-inducing flickers and I nearly gave my mom a heart attack). We watched the news and saw how badly some areas were hit, so I feel very grateful (and a little guilty) that we were passed over.

The rest of the week was pretty restless.  My sister became bored with being in the house. I didn't mind being in the house, but I was starting to feel rather lonely and longed to be on campus again, just to be back in society. We didn't go anywhere because it took awhile for gas stations to start up again (and we're still using alternate day gas rules).

Also: Halloween was on Wednesday. Our doorbell rang 3 times. Enough said. :(

Week 11 of Senior year:

Monday felt strange. It felt like we came back from a break. My professors pushed back their syllabi. East Hill, the newest dorm, was the only dorm that lost power during the storm. It took ten days for the power to come back. Students camped out in the library, stayed in other people's dorm rooms, or sat in their own room in the dark. There was a rather humorous article about it in last week's edition of The Quadrangle. In my opinion, I think the college should refund them 10 days worth of dorm expenses.

Other than that, nothing of consequence happened in my life, although I am realizing more and more that I've disappeared this past semester, particularly in the past 4 weeks. Where have I been? Usually the library. Second floor. Computer lab. People don't contact me and I don't contact them, and thus a cycle begins. Aside from that, I already know about people's Halloween shenanigans. Their lives are more "fun" without me. I am certain.

If I dormed, I would have brought out the board games during the storm. Nothing is better than playing Clue while there is a storm outside. Do people in college still play Apples to Apples?

Week 12 of Senior Year:

This past week...yeah, I got nothing. The semester is winding down now, as we only have 12 actual school days left. My mind is turned towards Winter Break. I just want it to come already. It's strange, in the beginning of the semester, I made that bucket list....but I'll write more about that at the end of the semester.

Hope you all made it through the storm okay. See you next week!

-Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment