Thursday, April 12, 2012

That Rare Breed of Guys

Last week, I was going to my journalism class and I showed up about an hour early. I decided to leave my stuff in the classroom anyway so I wouldn't be walking around with all my baggage (those who have seen me on campus know I carry a lot of baggage, haha). When I walked into the classroom, I saw a guy standing on the platform cleaning the whiteboard. He had shoulder length hair, and a newsboy cap, and I couldn't tell if he was a professor or a student. So I asked. To my surprise, he was a student.


He was cleaning the whiteboard with that chemical spray, and he was diligently trying to clean the marker streaks from the board. He made it clear that this was something he was not told to do, so I asked him why he chose to do it.

He told me that his professor wasn't going to clean it, and he didn't want the board to be dirty for the next class. He also picked up one of the whiteboard erasers and showed that the erasers do more harm than good.

I asked if he needed help. I went to grab more paper towels and soon I was on the platform with him, putting elbow grease into this menial yet frustrating task. We talked a little. I told him I gave him kudos for cleaning the board, especially since he wasn't asked to do so. He seemed like a nice guy.

Before he left, he told me he was a chemical engineer. When I asked what year he was in, he told me he was a junior. I thought, "Wow, so am I!" I said, "So, I guess I'll see you at graduation." The chances of us running into each other again are slim, given our different majors (my major is Communication).

When I introduced myself and asked for his name, it turned out his name was similar to my name. (I won't name names because the people reading this blog will be able to put two and two together and figure out who he is.) Anyway, our last names are far apart in the alphabet, so I doubt I'll even see him at graduation.

Of course, given the modern technology available to us today, I immediately ran across the street to the RLC building (it has computer labs), logged into my facebook account, and looked this guy up.

He has a girlfriend.

Of course, I'm used to disappointment so I found the situation pretty humorous. Of course he would have a girlfriend. He's a great guy. He takes responsibility for things that aren't even his responsibility. He had the consideration to think of the next classes that would use that whiteboard. He did something without having to be told. He manned up and took initiative.

They don't really make them like that anymore. A lot of guys my age are not like this, Christian or not. I thought my single problems were exclusive to me because of my faith, but later on as I was telling my friends this story, they said they have the same problem too.

All the good guys are taken! The rest of them tend to be immature, self-centered, not willing to commit to anything, slackers, or too shy/weak to "man up and take initiative"...I mean, not *all* single guys from ages 18-22 are like this, but you get the point.

Oh, mighty men of valor, WHERE ARE YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment