Monday, September 17, 2012

3rd Week of Senior Year: Seize the Moment

[I'd like to remind you that these posts are meant to recap the week before, not the week after. I haven't mastered time travel yet so I cannot recap future events :) ]

Last week was the first coffeehouse of this school year, and it was--as usual--on the quad. The first one is always on the quad.
Sometimes the last one is, too.

Anyway, I did sing, and I did record me singing, and I do have a video of this. You can watch it here.

I always get nervous before I sing, even before I had panic disorder, and there's always a part of me that feels like bailing out. However, I am a senior, and for all I know, this may be my last coffeehouse on the quad. So singing was a must. I thought to myself, "If I don't sing, then the panic disorder wins--and I'd like to get a point every now and then." Not that I keep score of this so-called game. Maybe I should do that for fun.

I wasn't able to go to Quadstock this past Saturday (I was sick). I thought the lineup was pretty impressive--Forever the Sickest Kids, Secondhand Serenade, and Teddy Geiger. From the photos on Facebook, it looks like everyone had a good time. Otherwise I heard it was okay. Can I say "lol"? I think I will. Lol.

When my friend Kat was a senior, she declared that year as "the year for spontaneity." We decided to do random things that year, simply because we could. We got up and danced at coffeehouse on the quad, we once played frisbee at 10 PM, and we once approached a random guy and told him he looked like Chris Daughtry (he didn't even know who Chris Daughtry is). We had a college radio show that Spring, and you can listen to one of our shows here.

What point am I trying to make? Senior year is, for many of us, the final stand. Our year to rise. The last part of our academic saga. Thing is, when you've spent most of your life in school, and this is your last school year (and college year), you should make it as amazing as possible. Go out with a bang. Go to a pep rally. Do family weekend. Go on a retreat. Join an honor society. Volunteer. Do something memorable. Have a movie night with your college friends and watch Fight Club for the thousandth time because you can. Sing karaoke downtown. Go on one of those school trips to the city on a Saturday. Take lots of pictures and record lots of videos. The amount of coverage necessary for senior year should be equivalent to the amount of coverage for your first baby's first year of life. (Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but still, you get the point).

So this year, I'm going to try to put my best foot forward and do more in school, for school, with school. Alright, that's enough repetition.

I hope you have an awesome and full week :)

-Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment