Monday, August 27, 2012

Senior year: So many feels

Hey, everyone! As per usual, "sorry it's been a long time since my last post." Now, on to the entry. Today is my first day of my senior year of college. Most likely this is first day of my last year of school. Forever. *Cue dramatic music*



 Ever since I was little, I loved school. I did not usually like homework and I had my fair share of not-so-fantastic teachers. Overall, though, school was one of my favorite places to be. You get to learn new things, meet new people, and get outside of your house for awhile. (Don't get me wrong, though, I love my home, too).

 I have several fears I need to face in the upcoming year (driving anxiety, job interviews, writing my thesis next spring), but the one abstract fear I have to deal with is accepting life after school. Will I be able to move forward with my life, or I will I always be pining for Manhattan College? I love the campus, the people, the classes--it's not perfect, but it's nice. I've gotten used to the routine of coming to school every week day, having breaks between classes, wandering around from the Library to Smith to a dorm building.

 My idea of post-grad life is that I will settle for a less-than-ideal 9-5 job. I will go to work 5 days a week, doing the same thing every day, and interacting with the same people all the time. I will be living the cubicle life. After work, I go home, eat dinner, get ready for the next day, and do the same thing all over again. It's sounds like a monotonous nightmare. Please tell me I'm wrong. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about this just yet, because for now i still have an entire school year ahead of me--and I want this year to go by slowly. I want it to drag. I want it to be so slow that by the time I graduate, I'll be emotionally ready to graduate (i.e. "get me outta here!"). 

I don't have any goals, dream, or aspirations, but here is my "senior year bucket list":

1. Drive to school one day a week. My panic disorder kicks in before I have a chance to complete a trip. This problem has been frustrating and discouraging, and I feel a little trapped right now. However, my mom is determined that I will drive. So I have to pray and keep driving.

2. Go places with college friends. We may never see each other again after we graduate (another misconception, I hope). I have a few places in mind: Rice to Riches, Lyndhurst, Wave hill, Botanical Garden, Bronx Zoo...

3. Make more friends. I love the ones I do have, but why not?

4. Sing at at least two coffeehouses--and find someone to back me up. Singing a capella is not always effective, and singing with an instrumental track looks tacky. Brave acoustic guitar players, please apply. I'll pay you in food.

5. Be more involved in extracurriculars--because once college ends, so do extracurricular activities (unless I take up LivingSocial's offer for free pottery classes downtown). Instead of joining more clubs, I want to work on the ones I'm already in--Christ in your life, Manhattan Magazine, and The Quadrangle. Maybe I'll rejoin WRCM. And of course, there's the dance lessons that are occasionally offered here on campus.

6. Stay on top of assignments. I don't want to do 10 page papers at the last minute this year. Furthermore, this won't work once I take senior seminar and have to write a 20 page thesis. If I work on things ASAP, that gives me more time to enjoy life. My "multitasking" has to stop.

7. Smile more. People like smiles.

That's my list :) Anybody out there have any plans for the upcoming school year?

PS I plan to keep up with this blog  at least weekly during the school year. I want to see it to completion. However, I'm starting up another blog at http://thetravelerwhogoesnowhere.wordpress.com

I don't know how often I'll post there yet. <3>

No comments:

Post a Comment