Thursday, October 13, 2011

"I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!"

You've probably seen the commercial--or at least you've heard the phrase that became a piece of minor pop cultural humor.


Anyway, if you haven't seen the commercial, click here.

If you can get past the "strawng" Brooklyn accent, the line "I've fallen and I can't get up" might make you feel pretty sad.
Or maybe that's just me.

Both my grandmothers live alone, and both of them have had their fair share of falls from time to time. They both now have the Life Alert system, partially because my aunts and uncles insisted they have it.

I do not know why, but the image of an old woman on the floor being unable to get up really saddens me. I guess it's partly because I think of my grandmothers. It's also because maybe I'm scared that will be me one day--sprawled out on a floor, alone, feeling hurt and unable to call for help.

The line can also have underlying spiritual implications. Obviously, the advertisers did not intend for that. How often, though, have we fallen in life and felt like we can't get up? Either because of a lost job, or the death of a loved one, or facing a tough physical illness, or even--especially--after we make a big mistake.

I'm not going to lie--I'm at a pretty low point in my life right now. Not too low--I know I've had much lower points in the past. But right now, I feel a little lost and a little down. This semester has been tougher than the last one in terms of workload. I don't get to see my friends on campus much these days because of time, work, and schedule constraints. The dynamics at home between my mom, sister, and I are not bad but could be better. There seems to be some sort of fog that we're in--morale is not high, that's for sure. My stomach, thank God, has been doing a lot better--but now I'm eating more and gaining weight. In fact, I pig out on junk food almost every night before I go to sleep. I don't have an eating disorder--it's just that for 4 years I was too sick to do this kind of thing, and I guess now I'm going overboard with satisfying my cravings. I'm single, still, of course, and this has been an issue I think about every day. It doesn't have to be an issue. I'm just lonely and I crave to be held. By a guy. I've made plenty of mistakes, and lately I feel like I'm barely a Christian :( even though I still am.

I think all of this can be resolved simply--I need to read the Bible and pray everyday. I've been feeling restless and looking for fulfillment in all the wrong places, but in the end, only God can help me and fill that void I've been feeling in my life.

I often get scared that I've fallen too far and I can't get up--but it's not true! I can still cry out to God and ask Him to lift me up.

My dad had this saying years ago--"Those who don't ask, don't receive." If you're like me, and you're wondering why God hasn't been doing anything in your life, then
A) realize that even though you can't see/feel it right now, God is still moving
and
B) don't blame God for not helping you if you haven't even asked for His help!

Anyway, that's all i have to say about this. I need to go read my Bible and pray...

No comments:

Post a Comment