Friday, April 22, 2011

The Standards for the Next Guy

First of all, chances are you're reading this post because either A) you're curious to see what my standards are (either because you're interested or you want to make fun of me) or B) you're bored. Either way, hi!!!

Ok. So my ex and I broke up on March 12, 2011. It has been one month and 10 days since the break up. I'm not looking to date anyone anytime soon because I dated my ex for 2 years, 8 months, and a day. That is a long time to not be single. And I am currently enjoying being single.

So. This is a general idea of what criteria the next guy needs to meet if I ever [again] meet a guy who's interested in dating me.


1. Must be a Christian--there is no going around this one. The Bible says not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. So the guy must be a Christian. If he just became a Christian yesterday, he doesn't count. I do not date novices. If he is one of those Christians that acts one way in church and another way out in the world, he doesn't count. He must be serious about the things of God. He must have good standards that he holds himself up to.

2. He must be fun--I want to know that I can act like a kid with this guy. That we can go on the swings at the park or play frisbee or go to Chuck E. Cheese without him feeling self-conscious. I want him to give me piggy-back rides without being begrudging.

3. He must be funny--Marilyn Monroe said if you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything. That quote does not apply to me, but there is a little truth to it. I can't stand a guy who does not have a sense of humor. I'm not talking about caustic (mean) humor, nor am I talking about dirty humor. Just good humor. Like the ice cream lol.

4. He must be creative--if he can write, draw, play an instrument, sing--any of these are good. I want to be able to collaborate with him on little (or big) projects.

5. He must be attractive--I'm not saying he has to look like Brad Pitt--and quite honestly, Brad Pitt is soooo not my type. I'm not exactly a blushing rose myself, so yeah. But if there is no physical attraction, it's just not going to work. And this is just the way it is. When it comes to looks, I have eccentric tastes. lol. Someone you might think is ugly I might think is totally adorable.

6. He must be honest, hardworking, trustworthy, responsible--these are all qualities I admire in any guy. I'm not really casual when it comes to dating. If I don't see the guy as someone I could marry down the road, I don't bother wasting my time. He must be a prospective mate. No, I don't want to date someone who's obsessed with working and making money. But he should at least have a job. And he should at least put a good effort in whatever he does.

7. He must be strong--I'm not referring to physical strength here. I mean he must be strong in his faith in God, and he should be emotionally strong. I'm not looking for Stonewall Jackson--I don't want to date a guy who has no emotions whatsoever. But I don't want a total sap who breaks down easily or a quick tempered angsty brat. I have emotional problems--I have panic disorder and a little depression. So he must be strong to begin with, because he's going to have to be strong enough to handle me.

8. He must be able to handle my bluntness--because I am blunt. No, I am not going to give disgusting details about my menstrual cycle. But if he calls me up and asks how I'm doing, I might say things like, "I had diarrhea this morning, but I went solid this afternoon." (I have IBS, so this happens once in awhile.) He needs to be able to handle hearing that. He's a guy. I don't want him to be all, "Ewww, spare me the details."

That's basically it. I have a list of "it would be nice if's" but some of them are so silly it's not worth posting lol.

-Nicole-

2 comments:

  1. But Bubala, we need those nice to haves, if your old yenta Jasper Jottings is going to find you you a nice Jasper Übermensch for your shidduch. So talk, otherwise how will we know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice if he was a shaggy-haired, guitar-playing, skateboarding, Christian guy.

    Good luck finding him. lol

    ReplyDelete